Problems Getting Started / Setup

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

megahurts

Problems Getting Started / Setup

Post by megahurts »

Hi,

I've been struggling with some LEDWALKER 3D Ball Lights and madrix for a few weeks now and still can't get it working. I think I'm just missing something basic, but I don't know what it is. Here's a description of my setup and some pictures of everything and the madrix screens. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Essentially everything is wired and powered but the signals sent from madrix are not effecting the ball lights the way they should. Some of the lights turn on or off or change colors randomly, but it doesn't match at all what madrix is telling it to do. Here is more info and pictures:

1) I am only testing on 1 string of 12 balls. I have set the Pixel Address with the address writer (WS2821) starting at address 1. When I set this all of the balls turn white which is what is supposed to happen per documentation. The address writer has a function that reads "Test Addresses" when I run this nothing happens. (not sure if that's part of the problem).

2) After ball string has had pixel address written to it, I plug up the light string to the power supply and DMX cable. The DMX cable is connected to the artnet controller and this is online. The balls are getting some power, because some turn on, but they are not controlled by what madrix is telling them.

3) I have everything configured in madrix per the documentation (to the best of my knowledge), the matrix, the artnet controller and dmx devices are all setup.

4) When I run a light sequence in madrix nothing happens on the lights. Some lights turn on or change color, but they do not match what madrix is saying, it is all just random.

I have attached pictures of my setup and the madrix screens. Can you please give some recommendations. I don't understand why this is not working. Am not sure if I missing a component like a LED decoder, but I think this is built into the lights?

Here are images of setup and madrix screens:

http://imgur.com/a/zUkAF

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Problems Getting Started / Setup

Post by Guertler »

Hello megahurts,
I have watched your posted images. Maybe there is something wrong in the configuration. Can you please try the following:
1.) Please disable the "Remote" and Mapping at the DMX-Input tab. Please also disable the "Art-Net Remote" and the second "MADRIX" device in the "DMX Devices" tab of the "MADRIX Device Manager". Now please run the test again.
Do you plan to use Art-Net-Input for triggering MADRIX?
2.) As I have seen in one of the images you are running 2 MADRIX. Please close the second one.
3.) Please make sure that MADRIX will send the Art-Net data to the right IP-Address of the Art-Net node.
4.) Please make sure that all LED balls have the correct DMX Address. The first ball should have address 1, the second address 4, the third addres 7 and so on.
5.) Please also check the cabeling of the LED balls.
Also you can send us your created MADRIX setup and logfile to info[at]madrix[dot]com.

To save the logfile in MADRIX, go to Tools > Logfile > Save To File... and enter a name for the Logfile.
To save the Setup go to "File > Save Setup as..." and enter a name.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again!
Thank you.
megahurts

Post by megahurts »

Thanks for replying to my post. I emailed you the setup and logfiles but want to reply here also in case anyone else is researching this issue.

I followed your instructions and confirmed that all of my lights have the correct address. I figured out how to test the addresses and for the 12 lights in the string:

address 1-3 is first ball RGB
address 4-6 is second ball RGB

etc.

There are 12 balls in the string.

My ARTNET controller IP address is 192.168.1.100 and I have been able to confirm I can ping the controller from my computer where madrix is running. The computers address as of this email and configuration is 192.168.1.4.

I removed all of the devices and rebooted the computer and then re-added them. I have taken pictures of my current relevant screens in madrix and posted them here:

http://imgur.com/a/A80CJ

I disabled the DMX Input devices as you instructed. I do not plan to use DMX input right now. I just want to get a basic setup working.

After doing these things, the lights still do not appear to be receiving the proper signals from madrix.

I really appreciate your help.
megahurts

Post by megahurts »

I also wanted to mention, I do have the madrix neo plugged into the USB port of the computer, but I do not have the DMX cable attached to this, but rather through the ARTNET output port 1. I only have the NEO attached to the computer so madrix can get the software key.
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

UPDATE: This issue could be dealt with over e-mail and has been resolved by restoring the default settings for MADRIX (via the provided MADRIX Restore tool - http://help.madrix.com/m3/html/madrix/h ... _tool.html) and adding the Art-Net node manually to the Device Manager. Thank you!